Thursday, March 10, 2011

Last Day - Back in Nurnburg

Shoot, I think this is still Rothenburg. I'm pretty sure it is, in fact. But we were able to go all the way to the top of this tower in Rothenburg.

Here is the tower from the back side.
And this is the view from the top of the tower. There was a guy up top that said something to me in german on our way down the stairs, but I didn't understand him, so I just nodded and smiled. I did a lot of nodding and smiling this past week. When we got to the bottom of the tower, there was a sign that said it cost 3 euro to go to the top. I think the guy was asking me to pay, and I just walked right away from him. Oops!

Stairs up a big tower at the back of the city.
The most picturesque street in Germany. That's what the guidebook says. Really.

Now we'll do Nurnberg. This is the hangman's bridge. The hangman lived here above the bridge for about 200 years from about 1500 to 1700.

And the bridges over the city are really neat. Here we are on the bridge facing the edge of the city, and the castle.

When we went back to Nurnberg we planned to go through the castle becasue it looked really neat. I didn't go while Mark was working because I knew he wanted to go. Darn it. The castle is closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years day and Shrove Tuesday. Guess what day Tuesday was. So since it was Shrove Tuesday we didn't get to see the castle on the inside. I guess I will have to go with Mark next year when he goes so we can see the castle.
Instead of seeing the castle, we went through the toy museum, which was super fun. They have all the toys we had as kids, but in German. And just about the most awesome train set-up I have ever seen. We also went to Albrecht Durer's house. He was an artist so long ago, and apparently someone that Nurnberg is very proud of. I don't know that I have ever heard of him, except that I believe one if his paintings is inthe game "Masterpiece".
And then we walked to the Parade grounds and Zeppelin Field.

These people would not move off the podium. After about 30 minutes all the other tourists that were waiting for them to move finally just scrunched up on the podium with them. They were still there when we walked away.

And on our way back to the hotel, we saw this sign. I can't read it, but it looks to me like you are not allowed to swim or kill people in this park.
This was a great trip!

2 comments:

Grandma said...

What a great trip. I'm glad you got to do it. I loved reading it and seeing the pictures. Thank you.

Parkinson Family said...

The sign says, "Danger--it's forbidden to enter the ice--the water contains hydrogen sulfide."

Hope you drank bottled water while you were there.