Saturday, September 5, 2009

San Antonio

On August 22, Mark, Spencer and I went down to San Antonio, TX. I have never been in Texas for any real amount of time. This was a very fun trip . . . mostly. Everything but the accident. I'm going to leave that one for Amy to tell.

It really is a beautiful city, and it was very warm so it was just right for me.

In this picture we are all sitting on a little boat that goes along the river walk. This is an amazing part of the city with great restaurants (I'm told) and beautiful landscaping, and since there is a bit of water here, it's not too hot.

Once we got off the boat, Mark and Spencer and I walked around downtown and visited some of the old buildings. This is . . . ummm . . . art? I think? Maybe it has some meaning, but we never got close enough to read what the artist intended, and I sure am not artistic enough to figure it out on my own. It's kinda neat, though.
You can't go to San Antonio and not visit the Alamo. Honestly,my first impression was, "They all died for this?" It's a pretty small building with a pretty short wall around it. Even when I saw the diarama I was a bit underwhelmed. But they did not fight for the buildings, they fought to make Texas a part of the country even when they knew there was no help coming and they would all die. Pretty impressive. Phil Collins is apparently a fan of the Alamo, and has donated certain items to the museum. But the best part of all was Davy Crockett's hair. They really have it! We could clone him, if we wanted to! How cool would that be? (Maybe not) Zach wasn't so sure of Mark at first, but they became pretty good buddies.

No comments: